Gut Health-Malnutrition Awareness Week, October 5 – 9
Today's fast-food diet is problematic in a number of ways. Too much salt, too much cholesterol, and too much sugar. Not to mention sometimes our diet is void in nutrients. This can create a whole new set of problems. Stomach issues are one of the number one things that bring patients to their doctors. Usually, if we are in the proper weight or BMI we think all is well. Well not so fast.
One internet definition of malnutrition, that is pretty accurate........
Malnutrition is a condition that results from eating a diet that does not supply a healthy amount of one or more nutrients. This includes diets that have too little nutrients or so many that the diet causes health problems. The nutrients involved can include calories, protein, carbohydrates, fat, vitamins, or minerals.
Some causes of Malnutrition:
·Lack of specific nutrients in your diet. Even the lack of one vitamin can lead to malnutrition.
·An unbalanced diet
·Certain medical problems, such as malabsorption syndromes ( celiac disease, lactose intolerance. etc) and cancers
Some symptoms of Malabsorption:
Chronic diarrhea, abnormal stools,(fatty, clay color, etc) weight loss, and gas. Your doctor may use lab tests, imaging, or other tests to make a diagnosis.
Other Digestive disorders:
Digestion of food can be affected by...
· IBS-Disorders that prevent adequate mixing of food with digestive enzymes and stomach acid
· Gut health-Insufficient production of digestive enzymes
· Gall bladder Dx-Decreased production of bile
· Ulcers-Too much stomach acid
· Gut health infections-The wrong kinds of bacteria growing in the small intestine
· Surgery-Inadequate mixing may occur in a person who has had part of the stomach surgically removed.
· Alcoholism- interferes with vitamin absorption.
· Crohn's Disease- interferes with the lining of the intestines.
It. is not always the famished children that we see in third world countries, that suffer from malnutrition. Now, malnutrition can be a problem for anyone. Seek professional help if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms. We are a full medical practice able to help if you are unable to get into your primary care provider. Here at HHC Telehealth we care about your health and want to partner with you to optimal wellness. Make an appointment at https://www.hhctelehealth.com/book-online
For blood in your stool go to the Emergency Room for proper diagnosis.