Small things that bring Big Joy
During this Covid season we may all be struggling with how to keep occupied. Those with children at home may have constant things to do such as, clean or cook and looking after them. Others who work from home now may be looking at a constant state of nothing but walls. These challenging times are when we must look to what makes us happy in the NOW. Happiness according to the dictionary is the feeling of showing pleasure or contentment. It also lists happy as being fortunate and convenient.
There are many songs that convey happiness such as the children’s song “if you’re happy and you know it clap your hands” or the major lead song titled “Happy” by singer Pharrell. There are many things and emotions that can bring about a feeling of being happy. Happy is something that can either be short lived or long lasting. Being around those you love can bring about long lasting happiness, or a favorite song can give a short burst of happiness. Therefore, we must understand that happiness is an emotion that can be evoked and sought after to enjoy the benefit of good mental wellness.
Since we can create our own sense of happiness with small things, I want to give you a few things that I feel can help boost our happiness in this Covid season. In spite of all the uncertainty and restraints, we have five senses that we can utilize to help bring us happiness, let’s look at how;
The small things, evoking your 5 senses:
1. Smelling the flowers around you, in your garden or buy fresh flowers from a local grocer. Or if you are unable to buy or garden currently, try spraying a favorite parfum or cologne on a bed linen or scarf.
2. Eating a delicious meal or a favorite dessert. Sometimes, just lingering on the smell and taste of a favorite food can bring lots of great pleasure. I remember when my mom use to make home made dinner rolls, just the thought brings me joy. All in moderation of course.
3. Looking at old pictures of family and friends. Gatherings are times that we create the most joy. We are usually trying to create big moments of immense happiness. Some family members are not seen for long periods of time and it brings us to a place where we are able to have fun and excitement and just looking at the pictures helps us remember those special times.
4. Joy can come in a simple form of listening to nature. Opening a window or sitting on the porch and listening to the birds’ chirp or, google a nature station of a water fall or ocean can bring a sense of calm and balance.
5. Another thing that is extremely helpful as well as enjoyable is massaging parts of your body such as your feet and hands. This is something that you can do on your own terms. You know the amount of pressure that makes it pleasant and if you can have someone else give you a massage, that just increases the joy. Massages also releases stress from muscles and increases good endorphins.
There is another sense that is said to be a sixth sense and that is our proprioceptive sense, which is on our sense of positioning. This can be done by stretching or doing yoga moves right where you are and at your own pace. Maintaining good balance is part of good health and benefits us both physically and mentally.
Just remember that happiness is what brings us joy and joy does not have to cost a lot. We also, do not have to be with anyone else to find joy. Happiness is a choice and it is in our reach. Find yours today. We are here to help you if you are still struggling or need to work through the process of mental health decline. Make an appointment at www.hhctelehealth.com.
Remember for emergency to contact 911. There are other resources such as
NAMI at www.namiswoh.org/
Greater Cincinnati Behavioral at https://www.gcbhs.com/